Kragujevac – a place where you will find out how Serbia was created. The city of Kragujevac is the place where the first train passed, but the first light bulb was located in the central part of Serbia, about 140 kilometers from Belgrade. This is the city that is the carrier of industrial and economic development of Sumadija and Pomoravlje, the administrative, university health and cultural center of central Serbia, which can be felt as a city of the future. Tourists have the opportunity to get acquainted with the cultural and historical heritage, religious, natural and sporting sights, but also to enjoy great catering offer, rich nightlife and various cultural events. Modern Serbia has started in this city, because many things have just happened in Kragujevac: Assembly, Constitution, light bulbs, railways, gymnasium, theater play ….
Near the port of Kragujevac’s Church of the Holy Trinity, almost all Serbian history of the modern Serbian state is concentrated. Prince Miloš precisely chaired the church events in front of this church, and in 1818 Kragujevac became the capital since it was stationed in the heart of Serbia.
The most liberal in the then Europe, the so-called Sretensky Constitution was brought in the port of the Holy Trinity in 1835, and the assemblies for Mitrovdan and Djurđevdan were held here. Prince Miloš also built the Assembly, and in addition to it, the first railway in Serbia passed in 1876, which brought coal from the Senj mine for the cannon. In this place, the provisions of the Berlin Congress as well as the text of Article 5, which Serbia gained independence, were read out.
About the port of the Kragujevac church, Miloš also built three male, female, and “Amidzin” that survived, and now this is the oldest building in the city. The warming-room was also located next to the church, and there was made the first hand grenade, the first rifle “kokinka”, the first top, and in 1884, in the presence of Queen Natalia, the first light bulb was also slaughtered. At the topplane site today in the “Prince Arsenal” and the Museum of Weapons.
On the square near the Cross, there was the first lyceum, and the first time St. Sava was celebrated as a school glory. Balloons were held in several of the then hotels: “Palas”, “Dubrovnik”, “Jadran” and “Takovo”, and Knez Milos founded the first Svetosavski bal in Vienna.
The cultural and historical complex “Milošev venac” encompasses a part of the central city area with the most important buildings built at the time when Kragujevac was the first capital of the modern Serbian state, and from the Saborna crkva the shopping area begins, goes past the old cafes and comes to the villa which resemble Vienna.
To visit Kragujevac and not to leave and to Šumarice is impossible. This is a memorial park for the victims of World War II, and ten of the 30 graves are artfully formed. “Monument to archers and professors” or “Monument to pain and defiance” will not leave you indifferent. In Šumarice every year, 21st of October, the Big School Hour is held. At the entrance to Šumarica, there is the Museum October 21th, which fosters the memory of the innocent gunmen of Kragujevac, built of red brick and without a window. In addition to trying to keep the memory of the victims, Šumarice are the favorite promenade of Kragujevac and tourists, the park has well-organized areas for walking, rest and recreation as well as the lake.