The slopes between the slopes of Fruška Gora and the right bank of the Danube, the Sremski Karlovci, preserve a rich treasure of Serbian culture and spirituality in their buildings of invaluable historical value, and on its streets today grapes and wine are celebrated with the poetry of Branko Radičević. They are located 12 km from Novi Sad and 9 km from Petrovaradin on the old road to Belgrade. Sremski Karlovci is a vineyard town that during history has fallen under the control of various nations that have found their interest in this region, but this made it even richer. All the peoples who settled, left some trace of their culture and made up the common cultural wealth of the Sremski Karlovci.
What makes this city special is the Baroque style of construction. Some call it the Baroque City Museum. They say that in Sremski Karlovci every building, house and street tells some famous story because this city was the spiritual and cultural center of Serbia. After the First Great Emigration of the Serbs in 1690, he became the seat of the Peja Patriarchate. The Great Patriarchate still dominates the city’s central square, and since the patriarchate was later transferred to Belgrade, today it is the center of the Srem Metropolis. Within the Patriarchal Palace there is a Treasury where portraits, icons, art materials, art objects, and a library of valuable and rare manuscripts are displayed.
In addition to the Patriarchal Palace, there is the Cathedral of St. Nicholas. This church was built between 1758 and 1762 according to a project made in Vienna. Today’s appearance of this church is between 1907 and 1910, when a general renovation was carried out. In this church there is a part of the must of Sv. Arsenije Sremca, as well as the miraculous icon of the Holy Virgin of 1748. There is a Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity next to it. It was built in 1768 on the site of the former Benedictine basilica. The special value of this church is the baroque door in the depths, and behind them are the oldest organs in Vojvodina. Within this church there is the parish office built by the beginning of the XIX century.